Sanborn teaming with Lakers’ draft picks
Former Elkin High basketball standout Tyler Sanborn will play alongside both of the Los Angeles Lakers recent draft picks when the NBA Summer League starts next week.
Sanborn, a recent Guilford College graduate and reigning NCAA Division III Player of the Year, earned one of 11 spots on the Lakers’ summer team. He’ll have plenty of company fighting for playing time in the backcourt, competing against 6-9 forward Devin Ebanks from West Virginia (drafted 43rd overall) and 6-9 forward/center Derrick Caracter of UTEP (picked 58th).
Sanborn, a 6-10 center, worked out with the Lakers earlier this summer but was not picked on draft night. Forward Ben McCauley, who played at NC State, also is on the Los Angeles summer team. The Lakers begin their five-game Las Vegas summer league schedule on July 9 against Detroit.
Here is the Lakers’ complete summer league roster:
- #4 Derrick Caracter, forward/center, 6 feet 9, 275 pounds, Texas El Paso, rookie
- #3 Devin Ebanks, forward, 6-9, 210, West Virginia, rookie
- #8 Gerald Green, forward, 6-8, 200, Gulf Shores Academy (Texas), sixth season
- #31 Robert Kurz, forward, 6-9, 230, Notre Dame, third season
- #7 Ibrahim Jaaber, guard, 6-2, 170, Pennsylvania, rookie
- #34 Ben McCauley, forward, 6-9, 237, North Carolina State, rookie
- #36 Andrew Naymick, center, 6-11, 235, Michigan State, third season
- #32 Frank Robinson, guard, 6-4, 193, Cal State Fullerton, second season
- #15 Tyler Sanborn, center, 6-10, 270, Guilford College (N.C.), rookie
- #44 Courtney Sims, center, 6-11, 245, Michigan, fourth season
- #2 D.J. Strawberry, guard, 6-5, 199, Maryland, fourth season
Here is the Lakers’ summer league schedule:
- July 9 – Detroit (5 p.m. at Cox Pavilion)
- July 10 – Denver (3 p.m. at Cox Pavilion)
- July 12 – New York (1 p.m. at Cox Pavilion)
- July 13 – Sacramento (5:30 p.m. at Thomas & Mack Center)
- July 15 – San Antonio (1 p.m. at Cox Pavilion)