Starmount high jumper wins 2A state title
GREENSBORO — Starmount sophomore Hunter Welborn won a Class 2A state championship today in the high jump. Welborn cleared the bar at 5 feet, 6 inches in the 2A state meet, held at N.C. A&T University in Greensboro.
Wilkes Central’s Dustin Triplett finished as the state runner-up in the boys pole vault at the 2A state meet. Triplett’s best vault covered 14 feet. The gold medalist, Ethan Smith of Cedar Ridge, soared past all challengers with a vault of 15-3.
Other top finishers from Mountain Valley 1A/2A and Northwest 1A/2A schools in today’s 2A state meet, according to preliminary results posted by the N.C. High School Athletic Association:
* Brock Reynolds (West Stokes): 3rd in 400 meters
* Marc McKeithan (North Surry): 4th in shot put
* Casey Evans (Forbush): 4th in 400 meters, 5th in 100 meters
* Jason Barber (West Stokes): 4th in 3,200 meters
* Jared Gallion (Forbush): 5th in shot put
* Mackenzie Domske (Ashe) 5th in 100 hurdles
* Samantha Welborn (Starmount): 5th in shot put
* Laney Browder (Wilkes Central) 6th in 1600 meters
All results had not been posted by the NCHSAA as of this report. Yadkin Valley Sports will update this list by this evening.
The 1A state championship meet will be held Saturday at N.C. A&T, beginning with the field events at 10 a.m.